Our History
Rooted in family and long-standing relationships.

Lensing Building Specialties’ long-storied history dates back to the birth of a plaster supply business in 1873. Lensing Brothers opened for business in the late 19th century, which would eventually lead to the birth of a second business 75 years later, Lensing Building Specialties. We’re a family-owned operation focused on building long-standing relationships with our vendors and customers. What began as a small business selling plaster supplies in Evansville evolved into a robust building materials distribution company serving customers in Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee.
| 1873

B. Lensing Company Starts
Bernard Lensing starts a plaster supply business, B. Lensing Company, three years after immigrating from Germany to Evansville, Ind. Pictured is the original building (at the time of the photo, the business name was H.A. Lensing Company).
| 1915

William B. Lensing Changes Company Name
After stepping into a company ownership role, William B. Lensing, Bernard’s son, changes the name to Lensing Brothers. Pictured above is William B. Lensing (right) with his brother, Vincent (left).
| 1946

Joe Theby II Joins Lensing Brothers
Joe Theby II, son-in-law to William B. Lensing, joins the business. He is tasked with selling materials to lumber and supply dealers in the rural markets outside of Evansville. In the picture above, Joe is in the front row on the far right.
| 1948

Lensing Wholesale Opens for Business
As the sales to lumber and supply dealers in and outside of Evansville grew, Lensing Wholesale is formed as a separate business to sell specialty building materials. Joe Theby II is named the general manager of the new business, and the operations moved to a new 10,000-square-foot warehouse at 600 N. Sixth Avenue, which was located on part of the F.J. Reitz Sawmill property. Joe Theby II would eventually assume ownership of the company after the passing of William B. Lensing.
| 1962

Lensing Wholesale Introduces Architectural Sales
Lensing Wholesale acquires Somers Engineering Sales for its expertise in commercial doors, frames and hardware. This division is renamed Architectural Sales.
| 1980

Joe Theby II Transitions Leadership to Second Generation
Preparing for retirement, Joe Theby II transitions the leadership of the company to his sons, Bill Theby and Joe Theby III, and son-in-law, Mike O’Donohue. Pictured above from left to right: Joe Theby III, Bill Theby, Joe Theby II and Mike O’Donohue.
| 1980s & 1990s

Our Physical Operations Grow
During the 1980s, Lensing Wholesale adds additional office, warehouse and shop areas to our Sixth Avenue location and opens a showroom on Lincoln Avenue. In the 1990s, Lensing Wholesale opens its Franklin Street office after purchasing the building from the Double Cola Company.
| 2006

Company Name Changes to Lensing Building Specialties
After an acquaintance of Joe Theby III mistook Lensing Wholesale for a beer distributor, the company changes its name to Lensing Building Specialties. With the new name change came a new logo.
| 2010

Two Generations Lead The Company
After the youngest member of third-generation leadership joins the business, 2010 marks the first full year of two generations working together. In the front row from left to right are Bill Theby, Joe Theby III and Mike O’Donohue. In the back row from left to right are Matt Theby, Joe Theby IV and Kevin O’Donohue.
| 2018

Company Leadership Transitions To Third Generation
Preparing for their retirements, Joe III, Bill and Mike transition company leadership to their sons, Joe IV, Matt and Kevin, respectively.
| 2020

Lensing Building Specialties Acquires Crawford Door and Dock
Lensing Building Specialties and Architectural Sales doubles the size of its overhead door business by acquiring Crawford Door and Dock. This strengthens the company’s ability to supply, install and service overhead doors for residential, commercial and industrial customers.
| 2023

Lensing Building Specialties Celebrates 75 Years
Lensing Building Specialties celebrates 75 years in business. Coincidentally, 2023 marks 150 years since Lensing Brothers was first started by Bernard Lensing.
| 2025

Lensing Building Specialties Earns Coalition for Construction Safety Certification
Lensing achieves the Coalition for Construction Safety (CCS) certification, reflecting our ongoing commitment to safe operations across our warehouses, shops, and job sites. The certification reinforces the standards our team upholds every day to protect employees, dealers, and everyone who steps onto a Lensing site.
| 2026

Lensing Building Specialties named a Best Place to Work in Indiana
Lensing is recognized as a 2026 Best Place to Work in Indiana, a reflection of the culture our team has built over five generations. The award celebrates the people behind the business.
| Looking Ahead

Our Next Chapter
We’re growing and advancing every day to serve our customers better. Every day we challenge ourselves to do better, work smarter, and show up stronger for the people who count on us. 150 years in, we’re not slowing down, and we’re not giving up. There’s still more to build.





